Legend of the Wind X - Development Abstract
A RPG game engine from stratch in C++, defaulted to textmode play, but graphics/music adoptable, no requirement to link against other DLL's or libsomething.so, it will be intended for a case study like program for introductory computer science programmer and advanced programmers as a project to develop a playable and portable game that is actually enjoyable.
This project wishes to create a RPG game engine basing on a easy to port ideology using C++ from scratch. The idea to create the game from scratch came from the experience in trying to compile many of the other games that is publically avaiable yet each of them requires different packages to be installed, whilst these other packages are not neccessarily standard or common features. In creating this RPG game engine, very simple computer science technique will be applied so that it is portable between any platform with a C++ compiler and proper graphics support. Although graphics is not going to be the major emphasis of this project, this engine will be developed in a way that whenever possible a graphics interface may be added to make the game more complete.
Requirements & Platforms
The platforms currently intended to develop using:
* Microsoft Windows products
* Any Linux machine with gcc/g++ installed
- Intended Arch: Literally anyone with a machine + C++ compiler
- Intended Audience: any interested programmer, gamer, etc.
The engine will be developed from nothing...as aforementioned, so the project will not require other libraries to compile. And thus making it compilable on literally all the machines. Playability is our goal.
The intended graphics libraries:
+ On Microsoft Windows Platforms:
On Linux Systems with X-windows:
not sure yet, but OpenGL is prime choice
On Microsoft DOS:
Unintended for graphics to appear
+ For Music libraries
Still thinking....will be added later.
The Basic Design and Interfaces
- The game engine will allow the creation of character database.
- The game engine will be communicatable (i.e. possible to be inherited) for data sharing.
- The game egine will allow the creation of some kind of map (grid-based), with the using of trees or linked-list of linked-lists (so to create irregular shape maps), and extensible maps.
- The game engine will be able to interrelate actions of character on the map with events (e.g. battles, chats, etc.).
- The game engine will create a primitive game system (the so called main()) that will allow the user to play while typing in commands.
- The battle system will be text based and also possible to be inherited, so that graphics versions can be adopted.
- Network connection is not intended in the first stage, but may be possible.
- The game engine will also be developed alone with some kind of musical database so that whenever ready, music can jump into the game to enhance playability. (but not yet decided on the libraries to use yet).